Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

CURRENT GLOBAL VISITORS (CLICK GLOBE)
D-FOX: PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY

If you can read this message, please contact us immediately at the following email address:

thecomingcrisis@gmail.com

We believe.

D-FOX

Online Now (0)

Top Posters

CrisisForums.org Monthly Poll
CrisisForums.org 2014 West Africa Ebola Oubreak Updates

Food stamp benefits will be cut, starting next Friday. USA

Rosie_MOD_Rosie_MOD_ Moderator
edited October 2013 in Societal Collapse

The cuts, totaling $5 billion, will mean less money for groceries
for millions of people who rely on food stamps. It's a tough time to
have less food on the table, just a few weeks before the start of the
holiday season.

Congress has the power to halt the cutback.
However, experts say it's highly unlikely at a time when Republicans are
calling for even more drastic cuts to food stamps.

Food stamp benefits were bumped up in the midst of the recession. The temporary provision expires Nov. 1.

As families have struggled during the recession and also the slow
economic recovery, enrollment has soared in the Supplemental Nutrition
Assistance Program.

Some 47.6 million people, or nearly 15% of
the population, get food stamps, according to September federal data.
That compares to 26.3 million, or 8.7% of the population, in 2007.

The average benefit per person is $133.19 a month.

Families nationwide have already received emails and letters warning that their benefits will be reduced. For a family of four getting the maximum
benefit of $668 a month in food stamps, the cuts would trim $36 a
month, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food and
Nutrition Service.

Even though the economy remains on shaky ground, lawmakers are
unlikely to extend the extra benefits. In fact, the discussion among Republicans is to what degree food stamps should be whittled down.

In September, the Republican-controlled House passed a bill that tightens eligibility for food stamps. It trims $40 billion from funding food stamps over the next decade.

"It's hard to imagine anything that could stop this happening in a
week," said Elizabeth Lower-Basch, policy coordinator at CLASP, an
advocacy group for the poor. "There are studies that this really did
help people buy slightly higher quality food."

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/25/news/economy/food-stamp-cuts/index.html

"Real power is achieved when the ruling class controls the material essentials of life, granting and withholding them from the masses as if they were privileges." - George Orwell

Comments

• Crap like this !! Is goina start a revolution !! Punish the people,Not the government,WTF !! The people of USA need to-do some house cleaning,and demand it !! And if they don't !! Refuse to work !! The whole USA government needs to take a huge pay cut !! Get rid of the money hungry politicians and stop giving money to countries that don't really need it !! (In the Millions) 
  • mrpops09_CMOD_mrpops09_CMOD_ Chief Moderator

Crap like this !! Is goina start a revolution !! Punish the people,Not the government,WTF !! The people of USA need to-do some house cleaning,and demand it !! And if they don't !! Refuse to work !! The whole USA government needs to take a huge pay cut !! Get rid of the money hungry politicians and stop giving money to countries that don't really need it !! (In the Millions) 

I agree that it will start a riot...but I disagree with your sentiment....I'd say kick off 60% of those currently on well fare...WTF is their excuse for not working? You live in america....That does not guarantee you a flat screen TV or a new car....THE VAST MAJORITY OF WELL FARE RECIPIENTS ARE PIECES OF SHIT who just milk the system. If you are disabled or just recently lost your job....fine. Being a piece of white trash or being black is not an excuse to get free money. Go into a neighborhood where most of the pple are receiving well fare and look how they live...It's disgusting. I should know, I lived there. 
    The sad thing is the amount of people who see this coming (myself included) and are doing nothing...when is it too early to act? why are people who can make a difference so afraid to say so NO? Why is it so taboo to mention the state of our once great nation? -mrpops09
  • Hey mrpops,Unfortunately ,Getting a job helps! when there is a JOB to be HAD !And yup when ur milking the system ! (Took The words Out Of My Mouth)POS"s,you should be cut off money and/or health care!And as far as poor white people or black people go,there is maybe a slim margin who actually NEEDS IT !Up here in canada they bring THE WHOLE FAMILY! From the other side of the pond within a year,and then they expect, the people of canada to give them jobs,healthcare,lodging and the shirt off their back !,but a war vet has limited health care,but yet you immigrated here its free for YOU !! Ohh !! Yea it burns my ass and its not goina stop anytime soon ! So it was the people of usa that spent to much money ! Not The Government !!  
  • The interesting thing about welfare is that the money just circulates.  i.e. the .gov hand out welfare - the recipients spend it (only too often on alcohol, gambling and cigs)  Of course those three things alone attract BIG excise and taxes so .gov says thanks very much for the discretionary spending.  Drugs is another matter as they're not taxed and just make the rich guys (overlords) wealthier and kills a few ppl along the way.   At end of day whether it's age pension, vets pension, unemployment benefits, family allowance .gov know deep down they're going to get a large amount back.  I agree with mrp as to what he says. Certainly whole families are reared up believing it's their God given right to live on handouts.  The question is if welfare and foodstamps are withdrawn will these people then go out and bash people up and take their wallets /handbags.  As these highly taxed items (above) are often addictive, could be their children who'll go without even more once the food stamps are taken out of the equation.

"Real power is achieved when the ruling class controls the material essentials of life, granting and withholding them from the masses as if they were privileges." - George Orwell
  • Yankees can't complain about welfare being too high. That's the price to pay for keeping electing representatives of corporations, who are only skewing the workers more and more. You are living in a recession because your workers don't have purchasing power anymore, because of lack of jobs and lower incomes. 

Don't want the "burdens" of welfare? Support a bigger minimum wage, like the fast food workers are fighting for now. Support free or cheaper health care programs, like the one you call Obamacare. Support free or affordable education. Ask for bigger taxes for corporations and profitable companies, or at least make them pay bigger wages since their taxes are so low. 

Welfare is a government necessity in a capitalist economy. It allows people to buy stuff since you elected officials who let the corporations keep all the profits for themselves. Today is not only the unemployed who are taking welfare. It's also working people, many having two jobs. If you are going to put the blame in the "big bad government" alone, instead of  corporations like McDonalds, who presents a budget plan based on having a second job, you are more part of the problem, then presenting a solution. 

Deimos said:

Yankees can't complain about welfare being too high. That's the price to pay for keeping electing representatives of corporations, who are only skewing the workers more and more. You are living in a recession because your workers don't have purchasing power anymore, because of lack of jobs and lower incomes. 

Don't want the "burdens" of welfare? Support a bigger minimum wage, like the fast food workers are fighting for now. Support free or cheaper health care programs, like the one you call Obamacare. Support free or affordable education. Ask for bigger taxes for corporations and profitable companies, or at least make them pay bigger wages since their taxes are so low. 

Welfare is a government necessity in a capitalist economy. It allows people to buy stuff since you elected officials who let the corporations keep all the profits for themselves. Today is not only the unemployed who are taking welfare. It's also working people, many having two jobs. If you are going to put the blame in the "big bad government" alone, instead of  corporations like McDonalds, who presents a budget plan based on having a second job, you are more part of the problem, then presenting a solution. 

well fare is a necessity, but it has gotten way out of hand. Also, it is beyond a joke for someone who works at McD's to want 15$ an hour... If minimum wage was raised that high, mass people would be laid off, prices would rise, and it would be worse off for everyone. 15 an hour is what a car mechanic makes (a skilled job) not some high school drop out. Everything you are suggesting, including obamacare is what is destroying our nation. We are not like Europe, nor do we want to be. Look at the mess europe is in. I agree that something needs to be done (drastically) but what you are suggesting would make things worse 
    The sad thing is the amount of people who see this coming (myself included) and are doing nothing...when is it too early to act? why are people who can make a difference so afraid to say so NO? Why is it so taboo to mention the state of our once great nation? -mrpops09
  • http://www.aboutmcdonalds.com/content/dam/AboutMcDonalds/Investors/Investor%202013/2012%20Annual%20Report%20Final.pdf

This is the anual report of McDonalds. Under Selling, General and Administrative expenses you'll see that the U.S. expenses of McDonald's is at around 800 million dollars. Let´s say that by putting the wages in 15$ it would put this to 1,6 billion in expenses, which wouldn't get this high since this is an aggregated value with other expenses. Under net income in 2012 in page 30, they reported a 5.5 billion profit. So if they doubled these expenses they would still be making 4,7 billion in profit, which is still A LOT. So it wouldn't hurt a bit their profits. 15$ an hour is the Australian paying. France pays around 12$. Really, it wouldn't hurt them a bit.

But i'm not just talking about mcdonalds, i'm talking about everything here. These companies are paying almost no taxes and not paying their workers a livable wage. It's a fallacy, that unfortunatelly most people buy, to say that they would sharply increase prices or do mass layoffs because they had to increase the wages a little. And the price of burgers would increase in cents, for their margin profit to lose little. Companies lay off mainly when they're at their best, mostly because they are outsorcing their jobs to countries that pay less than 2$ an hour. 

So let's say you don't want taxes to increase, and don't want no government programs, but only an increase in salaries in companies like these, walmart, and the likes. 47 million people in your country now are using food stamps. If you would take out half of that by merely increasing the wages, wouldn't be better? 

But what makes me appalled is this rabid defense of highly profitable corporations, at the expense of the populace. And why you wouldn't you want free healthcare or free education? Honestly, i don't think 95% of these people who don't want these have an inch of land to fall dead on, to say they don't want services that your taxes should be able to provide. 

If you don't want to compromise in certain thing you can't complain on higher crime rates, higher welfare benefits, or on those guys who pee or put their penises on sandwiches in fast food industry, because honestly, given that retail and customer service workers must handle with some of the worst people that mankind is able to produce, and being paid such ridiculous wages, they can't really be blamed.

The burden must fall on someone, since the ones who should be paying the most, are getting off unharmed.

• Matt_ADMIN_Matt_ADMIN_ Administrator
    An intriguing debate.
    ----------
    "All men naturally love freedom and hate servitude." - Gaius Julius Caesar
    Deimos said:
    You make valid points, but I stand by my original main point that a larger federal government is not the answer...Now, major corporations getting away with paying almost no taxes, our bought congress, and disgusting over spending...Those are the problems that need immediate attention. I'd be for wiping 40% of the federal government's reach and re-assiging those powers back to the state and local governments (the way it was supposed to be). The problem is corruption within the system not so much the system itself. Although capitalism breeds greed and unequal wealth distribution, that's an accepted evil. Everyone is supposed to start on an equal playing field, and there is supposed to be laws to keep the greed and corruption at an acceptable/ incentive level (these laws have since been changed to have an opposite effect leaving the extremely wealthy at a massively unfair advantage). America was founded on principles of "pull yourself up by your own boot straps". The government is not supposed to be there to hold one's hand, however, it is there for the support of the truly needy. I for one think that should be the responsibility of private organizations and citizens, but that is a separate issue. In the end, we are both right that something needs to be done and now